5 Steps to Take Immediately If Your Identity Has Been Stolen
Being a victim of identity theft can be one of the most stressful and devastating experiences a person can have. Luckily, you can immediately stop identity theft in its tracks by following the five steps below:
1. Request copies of your credit report
- You can request free annual copies of your credit reports from the three main credit bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian) by going to AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Verify all identifying information such as your name, address and phone numbers. Contact your creditors to update any false information.
- Look for any recent unauthorized inquiries from financial institutions or creditors.
- Are there any accounts or loans you don’t recognize? They could be fraudulent. Take note of what institution the loan is financed with and call them to place flags on the accounts.
2. Place alerts on your credit reports
Call any of the main credit bureaus and ask them to place a credit alert on your credit files to alert creditors of fraudulent activity. Be sure to ask the bureaus which type of alert best suits your needs and confirm that they will notify the other credit bureaus.
3. Call your financial institutions
Contact your financial institution(s) as soon as possible to alert them that your identity has been compromised. Review your accounts and report any suspicious activity to them immediately.
4. File a police and FTC report
- Contact your local police department and file a police report for identity theft. Keep a copy of the report for your records.
- File an ID theft report with the Federal Trade Commission by going to www.ftc.gov/idtheft or by calling 1-877-438-4338.
5. Help prevent future fraud and enroll in IDProtect® Plus!
IDProtect Plus offers RBFCU members security and peace of mind at an affordable price. For only $4.95 per month, IDProtect Plus provides identity protection for you, joint account holders and eligible family members*. To enroll through your online banking account, click on “My Profile” and “Member Services.” RBFCU will provide an access code to register your information online. You can also enroll by visiting one of our branches or contacting our Member Service Center at 1-800-580-3300. For more information about IDProtect Plus, click here.
*Registration/Activation Required. IDProtect service is a personal identity theft protection service available to personal checking account owner(s), their joint account owners and their eligible family members. The service is available to non-publicly traded businesses and their business owner(s) listed on the account and their eligible family members (service not available to employees or authorized signers who are not owners). Service is not available to a “signer” on the account who is not an account owner. Service is not available to clubs, organizations and/or churches and their members, schools and their employees/students. For revocable grantor trusts, the service is available only when a grantor is serving as a trustee and covers the grantor trustee(s) and their eligible family members. For all other fiduciary accounts, the service covers the beneficiary, who must be the primary member, and their eligible family members (Fiduciary is not covered). Family includes: Spouse, persons qualifying as domestic partner, and children under 25 years of age and parent(s) of the account holder who are residents of the same household. Insurance products are not insured by NCUA or any Federal Government Agency; not a deposit of or guaranteed by Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union (RBFCU) or any affiliated entity.