Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Your questions, answered

We’ve collected some of the most frequently asked questions about our insurance products and services, and grouped them by topic to make it easier for you to access the information you need to make informed financial decisions.


Find FAQs by topic:
General Questions | Auto / Other Vehicles | Homeowners | Medicare Supplement | Commercial / Business | Back to all FAQs







  • Does RBFCU Insurance Agency insure outside Texas?

    Yes, some of our partners do offer insurance outside of Texas.

  • How do I choose a contractor for my home repairs after a storm?

    Some contractors offering services after storms take advantage of storm victims. Texas Department of Insurance offers these tips when evaluating contractors:

    • Call your insurance company first. Your insurance company can give you advice on what repairs should cost.
    • Use trusted companies. Make sure to check their references and phone numbers.
    • Get written estimates. These should be on the company’s letterhead with clear contact information.
    • Get more than one bid. This will help you decide which offers are legitimate and which may be too high or too good to be true.
    • Do not pay for repairs up front. Good contractors will typically require a partial payment up front to get started, but your final payment should be made after the job is finished.
    • If you feel pressured or threatened, call the police.
  • How do I get requested homeowners insurance documents to RBFCU?

    If in an area without a branch, insurance adjusters reports and contractor bids can be faxed to the Mortgage Servicing Department at 210-564-2940 or 210-637-3076 or emailed to

    Insurance checks, after you endorse them exactly as written on the payee line, can be mailed to:

    RBFCU Mortgage Servicing Department
    P.O. Box 2097
    Universal City, TX 78148

    or overnighted to

    RBFCU Mortgage Servicing Department
    1 IKEA-RBFCU Parkway
    Live Oak, TX 78233

    Please put “Attention: Mortgage Servicing” on your envelope and include good contact information on your documents so your documents get to us timely and we are able to reach back out to you.

  • How much flood insurance do I need?

    If you live in a designated flood zone or you are looking to purchase a home located in a designated flood zone, you will need enough flood insurance to cover all loans against your property.

  • How much homeowners insurance do I need?
    You will need enough homeowners insurance to rebuild your home in the event of a loss.
  • What happens when I receive a check from insurance?

    RBFCU will most likely be listed as a payee on your insurance check because we have a financial interest in the property. Depending on the extent of damage to your home, we may release the funds in partial payments as the repairs are completed. Some repairs may require a licensed contractor. Please contact Mortgage Servicing at 210-945-3300 or 1-800-580-3300, select option 3, then option 2, then option 1. We will provide instructions on sending the insurance adjusters report to us, negotiating the insurance check, and the repair process.

    If your auto is financed with RBFCU, please contact RBFCU Consumer Lending at 210-945-3300 or toll-free at 1-800-580-3300, select option 3, then option 3, then option 1, then option 4.

  • What types of incidents does homeowners insurance cover?

    A standard homeowners policy generally protects your home and your personal property from damage caused by:

    • Fires or lightning
    • Windstorms (including hurricanes and tornadoes) or hail
    • Explosions
    • Riots or civil commotions
    • Aircrafts
    • Vehicles
    • Smoke
    • Theft or vandalism (sometimes called malicious mischief)
    • Falling objects
    • Weight of ice, snow or sleet
    • Freezing of plumbing, heating, air conditioning or other household systems

    It is best to contact RBFCU Insurance Agency to determine what specific coverage your home will need.



  • When can I purchase a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan?

    You can buy a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan any time after you turn 65 and join Medicare Part B. If you enroll in an insurance plan during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period, the first 6 months your Part B is active, your medical history is not considered in setting your premium.

  • How do I sign up for a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan?

    For more information on how to join, contact 1-833-291-1309.

  • Can I make changes to my Medicare Supplement Insurance coverage?

    You can drop your policy and apply for another Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan at any time. However, after your Medigap Open Enrollment Period ends, insurers can refuse coverage or charge you a higher premium based on your health and/or make you wait to get coverage for an existing illness.

  • Can I enroll in Medicare at any time?

    No. There are certain times of the year and specific enrollment periods, including an Initial Enrollment Period (IEP), General Enrollment Period (GEP), Open Enrollment Period and Special Enrollment Period (SEP).

  • When can I enroll in Medicare Part A and B?

    Your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP) is your first chance to enroll in Medicare Part B. Your IEP is seven months long and includes the three months before the month you turn 65, your birthday month and the three months after your birthday month. Once you are enrolled in Medicare Part B, you are eligible to purchase a supplement insurance plan.