Credit Builder Loan
Start building credit the right way
Improve or establish your credit with an easy-to-manage loan from RBFCU. Our Credit Builder Loan is there to help you start or re-establish your credit history while you build savings for the future.
Here's how our Credit Builder Loan works
1. Request a Credit Builder Loan
Go to your online banking account, select “Credit Builder Loan” from the loan options and complete a short application. You’ll be required to select a loan term with a minimum of six months.
2. Make your payments
Your loan funds are held in your savings account while you make payments for the full term of the loan. You should plan to make regular payments through the loan’s scheduled completion date. Making these payments allows you to establish a regular payment history on your credit report.
3. Receive your funds
Once your loan is paid off, the funds will be released and available for your use. Dividends earned are released monthly throughout the loan term and are available for your use right away. We report your payment history to the credit bureaus, which can help demonstrate your creditworthiness as a future loan candidate.
Who should apply for a Credit Builder Loan?
• People who have not yet built their credit history
• People seeking to improve their credit
Anything else I should know about a Credit Builder Loan?
- A Credit Builder Loan does not provide immediate funds for member use. Instead, the funds are secured in a savings account until the loan term is complete.
- You can request an amount between $300 and $2,500 for your Credit Builder Loan. Your loan term can be between six and 36 months.
- Members ask if they can pay off their Credit Builder Loan early. However, regularly scheduled monthly payments are important to building credit. If you secure a Credit Builder Loan, you should plan to make regular payments through the loan’s scheduled completion date.
Is there a fee to get a Credit Builder Loan?
There are no fees associated with applying for a loan. With a Credit Builder Loan, you will be required to pay interest on the loan, but you’ll receive a portion of that interest back in dividends on your funds monthly throughout the duration of the loan.
The granting of a Credit Builder Loan does not guarantee future loans. Subject to credit approval. Specific rate and term dependent upon your credit rating and other factors and subject to change without notice. Some restrictions may apply.