Vehicle Buyer’s Check
How a VBC can help me buy a car
Finding a preferred dealer will help you get behind the wheel of a car you’ll love. But the place where you buy your car may not be the place you want to finance your car.
In fact, before you try to find your next car, making time to get preapproved for an auto loan from a credit union like RBFCU could pay off in important ways. A preapproval through RBFCU can give you a Vehicle Buyer’s Check, which will strengthen your negotiating position once you’ve decided on the car you want.
A Vehicle Buyer’s Check (VBC) is like showing a car dealer that you have cash ready to spend. Simply, dealers will take you seriously when they know you have funds available now – they might be more willing to accommodate a lower sales price if they know you could spend your money somewhere else.
How can you get a VBC, and how does a VBC work?
- Apply for your loan and get a preapproval for an amount you can spend on your vehicle and the expiration, which is 60 days from the application date
- If you’re approved, you can make arrangements to have your VBC mailed to you or you can pick it up from any branch location
- Make sure you look for the car you want from a “franchise dealer” (a dealership that has exclusive rights to sell new vehicles for a specific manufacturer or brand; they also can sell used cars)
- With a VBC, you don’t need to get back with us when you’re negotiating or agreeing to the purchase terms of your car — just spend up to the stated amount on the VBC
- Look for your car on your time and know that you can complete your paperwork with the dealer on weekends or late evenings
- You’ve searched for your car, but you don’t have to go on another search for additional coverages — a VBC opens the door for you to purchase RBFCU’s GAP, Mechanical Repair Coverage and Credit Insurance
- You have some flexibility when getting ready to pay — you can set your payments to start as long as 60 days from purchase.* Once the VBC has cleared, we will contact you to select your first payment date.
Get preapproved before you look for your next vehicle. You’ll find it’s time well spent!
For qualified members only. Auto loans are subject to credit review and approval. Rates are subject to change without notice. Some restrictions may apply. For complete details, contact the Consumer Lending Center.
For consumer vehicle loans only.
* Interest will accrue during the deferment period for the 60 day no payment option.